As a fashion designer, you must know how to sew. Sewing is a fundamental skill for any clothing designer, allowing you to create garments from scratch. By understanding to sew, you can turn your designs into reality and produce one-of-a-kind pieces.
In addition to creating unique garments, sewing allows you to make alterations and repairs to clothing. You will likely work with many fabrics and materials as a fashion designer. You can ensure that your garments are well-constructed and fit correctly.
Sewing is a lost art. In the age of fast fashion, it’s easy to forget that people make clothes. In order to achieve the same level of quality and perfection that they expect from their garments, designers must know how to sew like a professional. You can stitch up your garments quickly with a little practice and patience.
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What you need to get started
In order to sew like a fashion designer, there are a few basics that you will need.
- Sewing machine.
- Good quality thread.
- Variety of needles.
- Measuring tape and chalk to mark fabric.
- Pins and pin cushions.
- Iron and ironing board.
With these basics, you will be well on your way to sewing like a fashion designer.
How To Sew Like A Fashion Designer – Step by step
These steps are given below that you must follow.
Steps 1. Choose a pattern
As a fashion designer, one of the first steps in creating a garment is choosing a pattern. Consider the garment you want to create. What style are you going for? Is it something casual or formal? Once you have an idea of the overall look you’re going for, you can start browsing patterns.
Next, take your measurements. Patterns will list suggested measurements for each size, so make sure to choose a size that corresponds to your measurements. It will ensure that the garment fits when you’re finished sewing it.
Steps 2. Cut the fabric
Cutting along the grainline of the fabric will give you neater, more consistent results. When cutting out pattern pieces, take your time to make sure each one is exactly the right size and shape. It will save you time and frustration later on. Make extra cuts if needed. If you’re not sure how something is supposed to fit together, it’s better to make too many cuts than too few.
Steps 3. Assemble and sew together
Start by pinning your pattern pieces onto the fabric. Then, using a sewing machine or needle and thread, sew the pieces together according to the instructions on the pattern. Be sure to use a seam allowance (the extra fabric allowed for seams) so that your garment will fit when finished.
When you’re finished sewing, try on your garment to ensure it fits before moving on to the next step. Once you’re happy with the fit, you can move on to finishing your garment.
Steps 4. Finishing your garment
After you have cut and sewn your garment, it is time to finish it. Here are some tips on how to do that like a fashion designer:
- Serge or zigzag the raw edges of your fabric to prevent fraying.
- Press your seams open with an iron.
- Use bias tape or binding to finish the edges of your neckline, armholes, and waistline.
- Hem your garment using a blind hem stitch or a double-needle stitch.
- Add any closures (buttons, snaps, hooks, etc.) that your garment needs.
- Finally, steam or press your garment one last time before wearing it.
Tips for Sewing Like a Fashion Designer
When it comes to sewing, fashion designers have a few tricks up their sleeves that the average person doesn’t know. Here are a few tips on how to sew like a fashion designer:
- Use quality fabrics because they will make all the difference.
- Trace the pattern onto tracing paper before cutting it into your fabric.
- Use a ruler or straight edge to help you accurately cut along the lines.
- Don’t be afraid of using a few pins when sewing. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Be careful not to stretch or distort the fabric while cutting it.
- Rushing through a project will only result in mistakes. Slow down and take your time to get it right the first time.
Sewing is important in fashion design because it allows you to experiment with different techniques and styles. Regarding fashion, few things are as gratifying as being able to sew your clothes. Not only is sewing a great way to save money, but it also allows you to be creative and design your unique styles.
I hope you enjoyed this article about How to Sew Like a Fashion Designer.